Thursday, September 3, 2015

A Blue Book That Changed My Career!

Hello all!
School has started back and while I will miss
the ability to stay up late and sleep even later,
I am excited to be back with my students!

This random little girl embodies my excitement.

Like last year, I am implementing Response to Intervention (RTI)
interventions (Click here for an explanation about R.T.I if you are interested)
on all of my kiddos to help boost their reading and math skills.

I love being able to pinpoint their needs and 
help in any and all ways possible.

With this being said...
I want to preface that I am in no way, shape or form being paid (I WISH)
to type the amazing things I am about to type.

Moving on...
I. COULD. NOT. LIVE. without the book below.
That might be a bit melodramatic, but...really...I couldn't!


Click the book to be taken to Jennifer Serravallo's website!

Here are a few shots of the inside and the back.

Please note all of the sticky notes.
There are SO many useful strategies/interventions
in here that it has truly made my job easier!
Thanks Jenn, ha!

My husband swears I am one of the only
people (he knows) who does this, but I like to look beyond the obvious
in photos. With that being said, there is a lot going on in this photo.
 Please note:
- UGA Thirsty Stone coaster (LOVE THOSE!)
I am not the biggest football fan but 
Mr. Word is a "rabid" (and I type that in the most loving way) UGA fan...
Example: I was counting down the days until summer break and he had already started counting down the days until college football...IN MAY!

- Keep Calm and Carry On mug I "borrowed" from my mother's kitchen cabiet
Sorry (Not sorry) Mom! :)

Anyways...back to the blog at hand..

Here is a peek inside the book. 

Keeping it real...
It was love at first sight when I saw these brightly colored pages,
chock full of anchor charts (visuals, period!) and endless resources. 
Here are a few close up shots with a bit of explanation.

Each chapter is an area focus.
Examples: Fluency, Comprehension, Yadda Yadda
Jennifer explicitly tells you:
- Reading levels (I wrote in the DRA level that corresponds)
- The genre/type of books to use with the strategy
- Specific skills it is focusing on

Each strategy is also broken down into:
- Strategy explanation:
This really gives a "short and sweet" explanation 
that is clear for any and all teachers trying to use this book effectively. 
- Teaching tips:
Exactly what it sounds like. Tips to help you teach the strategy.
- Lesson Language:
Pretty much a script that explains it, as basic as possible, to students. 
- Prompts:
Appropriate questions/probes to help the students search their
"schema toolbox" and connect!

The author smiling at you.
This book retails for approximately $45
and is WELL WORTH the money.

We are now in the 20th day of school and this is my face...
Just kidding kinda, 
:)

One of the interventions I am having to implement is NOT in this
book but it is one we have all (as educators) have come to
know and love...if you do not know it, you might want to use it!

It is called "Somebody, Wanted, But, So" (S.W.A.B.S).
Read more about it here:

When students are reading, sometimes it is hard for them 
to organize their thoughts, so I made this handout to help them!

I have found it is great for all grade levels!

Click HERE to grab the graphic organizer
 at my Teachers Pay Teachers store!

Thank you for reading (if you got this far!)


1 comment: