Sunday, May 19, 2013

You better Belize I had a great time!

I am back from my Study Abroad and
I cannot wait to go back!

It was totally a life changing experience and
I wouldn't change it for the world.

I will just post photos with descriptions...
There are tons! :)

Bye bye Georgia!!

Beautiful weather for the 3 hour flight.

Plenty of liquids and snacks.
Light reading, ha! :)

Hello Mexico!

View from the porch of the hotel.

Pretty money! This is equal to $12.50 USD

Awesome Belizean band that
welcomed us.

Delicious, ham and cheese crescents

Crocodile!

One of my favorites.
The top of a tiki hut.

Me and the Myan ruin on Lamanai.

HUGE Mayan temple.
I climbed all the way up to the top...
needless to say, I was sore for 3 days.

One of the original, Mayan calendars

Cuties with my basset plush I brought.


Patrick Faber, Minister of Education in Belize, and I!! 
Amazing!! This guy is a big deal in Belize! 
He is the equivalent of Arne Duncan in the US!! 
If you do not know who Arne is...click here.

My Standard IV (= to 3rd or 4th grade) classroom.







Where they wash their hands.

The teacher's desk.

My students and my teacher

My class!

Can I please have the one of the right?

The best $1 USD tacos!

My favorite breakfast spot on San Pedro


Field day!


This iguana...
it chased a few of us around the villas.

My first REAL hibiscus flower
I have ever seen in person. So pretty!

PIZZA!!

Hard to describe...
this article says it all.

Homes in San Mateo

Snorkeling with nurse sharks, sea turtles,
stingrays, and eels!

Eyes are closed but you get the idea, ha!
I am SO sunburned from this...

View from the catamaran!

The lady had the same name as me!
This is a good picture to show my sunburn, ha!

Bye Belize! I cannot wait to see you next year!

This was truly a life changing experience.
When you see the kid's faces and see how happy they are
regardless of what they have or they do not have, it changes
everything. You don't remember your car, nice clothes or home.
You think about that kid and how they live everyday. Do they
have a meal after they run off smiling from school? Will they get a 
good nights sleep? Will they come to school tomorrow with a full belly?

These students get to go to school until Standard VI (= to about 8th grade)
for free and after that, they have to come up with $500 BZ ($250 USD) PER
GRADE to go to high school. Students in the United States take for granted
how easy it is to go to high school. 

Because of it being so hard for the Belizean kids to finish school, I spoke with
my professor that organized the Study Abroad about forming a organization
that sponsors students. A cohort member and I are wanting to get people
and companies to sponsor one year of high school or all four years.
I am excited to try and get this project off the ground!!

On a side note:
- As of now, I am unofficially the co-president of the 
University of North Georgia Education Club!!
- Party at my home to celebrate our last semester
before student teaching in August
- Baby shower for my old co worker!
- My LAST summer semester EVER!
Well...until I go for my Masters. :)
- Special Education GACE
-Thirty-One Celebrate and Connect meeting
Hopefully I will have something special to share afterwards!
- DAYTONA in July!
- Speaking about the Belize trip at the conference in Orlando!
- STUDENT TEACHING in August!!
- Much much moreeee


No comments:

Post a Comment